Recipe for Sloe Gin Truffles

Use the gin-soaked flesh of discarded sloes to make luxury chocolates! Share tips and culinary hints here

Moderators: Blackthorn, SloeHoHo

Recipe for Sloe Gin Truffles

Postby SloeRanger » 23 Dec 2005, 17:29

As promised, here is a truffle recipe I have made up as a use for our left over sloes. They really are delicious!

This recipe makes around 40 truffles

You will need:

25g/1oz unsalted butter
75ml/3fl oz/5tbsp double cream
225g/8oz good quality Belgian chocolate
75g stoned sloes, broken up and softened with a pestle and mortar
2 tbsp sloe gin

To Finish:
100g Very good quality chocolate (I use Green & Blacks 72% cocoa cooks chocolate, this really does make a superior truffle. Its high cocoa content gives you the 'hit' of chocolate without the sharpness of a plain chocolate)
Chopped roasted hazlenuts

1. Line a Swiss roll tin with baking parchment

2. Place butter and cream in a small saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly. Boil for one minute then remove from the heat.

3. Break the Belgian chocolate into pieces and add to the cream. Stir until melted, then mix in the sloes and sloe gin.

4. Pour the mixture into the prepared swiss roll tin and chill in the fridge for about 2 hours until firm.

5. Break off pieces of the mixture and roll into balls. Chill for a further 30 minutes before finishing the truffles.

6. To finish melt the Green and Blacks chocolate. Dip the balls into the chocolate on a fork allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl. Carefully cover the truffle with the hazlenuts by putting it into a small dish or saucer of the nuts and covering it with the hazlenuts by hand.

7. Place the truffles in paper cases and refridgerate to set.

I did half in hazlenuts and half just coated in the chocolate, so they looked pretty in the boxes.

Tip: The truffle mixture needs to be firm but not too hard to roll. If the mixture is too hard, allow it to stand at room temperature for a few minutes. During rolling the mixture will become sticky but will reharden in the refridgerator before coating.

The chocolates can be kept in the fridge for about two weeks.

Warning: If you intend to give these out as gifts, make double quantity as it will be very hard to part with them!

I do hope you try these and enjoy them. Wishing you all a very merry Christmas, Sloeranger :D
SloeRanger

Postby sloesloequackquacksloe » 11 Oct 2006, 10:43

stoned sloes sounds just perfect for sloes that have been soaked in gin for several months :lol:

When you say left over - do you mean ones that HAVEN'T been put into gin??

It's worth using the cooking chocolate for another reason too - no VAT :)
sloesloequackquacksloe

Postby SloeRanger » 11 Oct 2006, 21:16

Hey there - nice user name ;)

I mean the ones you remove after they've been soaked in gin :)

Somewhere on here I also posted a chutney recipie using sloes which is delicious and can use either 'raw' or 'soaked' sloes. I made mine with raw as some people who couldnt have the alcohol could still try it at least.

Just put some 2006 sloe gin on the go, and also have rosehips, hawthorn berries, damsons, apples, pears and walnuts - was a good forrage on Sunday!

Never cooked with rosehips and hawthorn berries... but im getting off topic here!

-try the chocolates theyre yummy!
SloeRanger

Postby Wendy » 02 Feb 2007, 17:09

Mate made the Gin and I did the Truffles - WOW is all I can say, Made 4 x recipie and gave them away as christmas pressies.

Thanks for sharing

Wen x
Wendy

Postby SloeRanger » 02 Feb 2007, 17:11

Thats great! So pleased you enjoyed the chocolates. I expect you were very popular at Christmas!
SloeRanger

Postby Wendy » 11 Feb 2007, 22:29

SloeRanger wrote:Thats great! So pleased you enjoyed the chocolates. I expect you were very popular at Christmas!

I was very - finished the last truffle off today, i used Elmlea as im intollerent to normal cream - i made 4x your recipie, deffo going to do it again. Thanks for sharing
Wendy

Sloe Gin Truffles!

Postby Doublevision » 31 Dec 2007, 03:10

Thanks for the recipe for the truffles! :D

I made them and gave them to friends as Christmas Presents along with some Sloe Gin.

Must say the feedback has been very positive and am quite poular at the Moment.

:wink:
Doublevision

Re: Recipe for Sloe Gin Truffles

Postby sloebowler » 17 Sep 2008, 19:23

What is the best way to stone a sloe? :?:
sloebowler

Postby SloeRanger » 18 Sep 2008, 12:28

I use a cherry stoner. Perfect for the job!

If you dont have one, Id say to just make a slit with a knife and hook them out that way. Itll be quite messy but you'll be mushing them up to make the truffles anyway so it wont really matter.
SloeRanger

Postby sloe motion » 04 Oct 2009, 02:41

Mmmmm these sound good I think I'll have to give them a go :)
sloe motion

Postby spammeplease » 23 Dec 2009, 14:50

Just making these for the 3rd year running. Soooo yummy! This time I deliberately picked some Bullace early to use as they are so much bigger and slightly less fiddly.

I've remembered a lady at a party last year who was enthusing over them and irritated me by getting out her i-phone to note down the recipe. I said: 'First pick some sloes and soak them in gin for a year' 'And then?' she replied. 'I'll tell you in a year!' :twisted: Let's hope she doesn't remember next week!
spammeplease

Postby Wendy » 29 Dec 2009, 21:52

I cannot thank you enough, made my truffles for the 3rd Xmas now, and as usual your recipe does not fail.

Merry Xmas and a Happy new Year from me and all my friends who get to eat those truffles :D

For anyone having problems getting the flesh off of the sloes once they have been soaked in gin, I recommend you use a bag out of a wine box to make your Sloe Gin you can keep squishing the bag, this breaks the fruit away from the stones and the gin gets an even deeper red colour much quicker. the tap is easily removed with pliers and a bit of determination. once the brew is ready just cut the end off of the bag and you can strain the liquor through a tea towel in a sieve :D works every time for me ;)
Wendy

Postby SloeWolf » 11 May 2010, 19:44

I have just found some frozen sloes i saved when i bottled up earlier in the year, i am going to make this excellent recipe again. They really are fantastic and go down very well with family and friends when i can bear to part with them. I highly recommend doing this with the left over berries, i destone with a pair of rubber gloves on and just mush all the stones out. i am going to try this with damsons too.
SloeWolf

Postby Rocking » 24 Sep 2010, 08:37

Yes thank you for the recipe! I love cooking with chocolate, I think its recreational! The recipe is great, I already tried it out and I will as some of the other give them away for Christmas presents with some of my sloe gin as well. I think they make perfect presents.
Rocking

Postby ally » 12 Dec 2010, 14:13

Just decanted the sloe gin into bottles and have made a big batch of truffles using this recipe which are every bit as good as advised. Squishing the stones out took the longest. I've frozen quite a lot of destoned sloes so can make truffles whenever I like over the next few months.
ally

Next

Return to Sloe gin chocolates