Can anyone help, have I messed up my gin recipe?

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Neilstalbans

Can anyone help, have I messed up my gin recipe?

Post by Neilstalbans » 18 Dec 2017, 20:24

I have a tiny bit of damson gin I made 7 years ago left over which is perfect but I have no record of the mix of quantities.

My current batch is:

Damsons 1700g
Sugar 1000g
Gin 1.65l

It tastes too strong and too sweet to me and it is yet to be decanted.

I have no more damsons and I think I’ve overdone the sugar and am wondering whether adding more gin and giving it another month or two would help.

Basically I’m concerned I’ve wrecked the whole batch, and this is one of 3 bottles on the go...

If I add more gin, how much and how long for!?

Cheers, Neil

EDIT - I now have another 4litres of gin ready to add if that’s the right thing to do, I figured 1.33l per bottle would take it to 3l gin, 1700g damsons, 1000g sugar and might be a better bet.

Phil

Re: Can anyone help, have I messed up my gin recipe?

Post by Phil » 21 Dec 2017, 20:58

Always a difficult one to advise on as it's always down to individual likes. Most recipes call for ludicrous amount of sugar and I always start low and then add a little during tasting to fit my tastes.

Like you I don't keep records but I've never found Damsons so my experience only relates to Sloe but from memory I use about 1/2 kilo of Sloes to 1 litre of Gin and start with a couple of dessert spoons of sugar but probably double the sugar during tastings.

Best guess would be that you might get away with another litre and another few months but if you're now in a rush for this year you may be better to decant until next year and add it to a new, unsweetened batch.
Phil