Quince vodka

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

sloeberrysal

Quince vodka

Post by sloeberrysal » 02 Oct 2010, 16:48

I've just picked about 3lb of lovely yellow quinces from my Mum's bush and made a litre of quince vodka, I have no idea what it will taste like because this is the first time I've tried this.

This is what I did...

Quartered the quince and removed the pips then blitzed them in a hand blender and using a funnel poked the resulting mush into a half full litre bottle of vodka. I added about 3oz caster sugar and a star anise. (No idea if this will make any difference to the flavour but sounded like a good idea at the time!)

I will leave for a couple of months and then taste to see how sweet it is.

Also just done a batch of sloe gin and its already a beautiful purple colour! Yummy :lol:

Somnophore

Re: Quince vodka

Post by Somnophore » 02 Oct 2010, 20:52

Sounds a bit random, should be ok as long as it doesn't go bad. I'm trying blackberry vodka, but have never even eaten quince so wouldn't know what to do with one, it's like a big weird pear right?

sloeberrysal

Re: Quince vodka

Post by sloeberrysal » 03 Oct 2010, 16:31

Apparently yes, but these were the small ones from a Japanese Quince. They are a very hard fruit with a core and pips like an apple and a pale gold colour when ripe. There are lots of recipes on the internet for quince jelly, quince cheese and something called membrillo but I didn't have the ingredients to make them... hence the vodka :)