Saffron vodka: Aurum potabile

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Kay Dekker

Saffron vodka: Aurum potabile

Postby Kay Dekker » 20 Oct 2009, 16:41

Hi everyone - this is my first post to sloe.biz, so please be nice to me!

I know that saffron isn't a fruit, but I couldn't find a more appropriate board, so I thought that it wouldn't be too out of place here.

This is my recipe for a saffron-based vodka cordial - I call it Aurum potabile - Latin for 'drinkable gold' - because of its wonderful golden colour. Saffron is a mild stimulant and euphoric, so this is a good drink to have a little glass of when you're feeling low, or it's cold and grey outside, like it is here today. :)

Ingredients
250 ml cheap vodka
50 ml clear honey (I used Spanish lemon honey)
10 ml rosewater
10 ml orange flower water
5 ml natural vanilla essence
1 g saffron strands - don't use powdered saffron or it'll be much harder to filter

Method
Put the vodka in a Pyrex jug and bring it just to blood heat by immersion in a water bath or a pan of hot water.
Add the honey and stir until dissolved.
Cool to room temperature.
Add the essences and the saffron.
Strain through a funnel into a dark glass bottle (a wine bottle will do perfectly) so that the light doesn't affect the colour.
Rinse the funnel into the bottle with a little more vodka, then cork.
After a week, filter to remove the saffron strands and any sediment, and rebottle.

marionetta

Re: Saffron vodka: Aurum potabile

Postby marionetta » 22 Nov 2009, 02:32

The recipe looks lots of fun and I have some saffron that I've never used...
What do you mean by natural vanilla essence-could one use part of a pod instead?
How long should the vodka be left to mature?

Kay Dekker

Re: Saffron vodka: Aurum potabile

Postby Kay Dekker » 24 Dec 2009, 17:45

marionetta wrote:The recipe looks lots of fun and I have some saffron that I've never used...
What do you mean by natural vanilla essence-could one use part of a pod instead?
How long should the vodka be left to mature?

There's synthetic vanilla "flavouring", which is made (believe it or not) from waste wood pulp from paper-making, and real vanilla extract. Buy by price is the best guide, if the label doesn't make it clear - the more expensive, the more likely it is to be natural :)

I'd be wary of using a pod, because the vanilla seeds are very tiny and very dark - unless you want to wait ages for them to settle, and then be very careful when decanting/syphoning. it would be better to use vanilla extract, I think.

It doesn't take long for the saffron to infuse, so this is quite a quick recipe; I think I decanted mine after a week, and it was fabulous.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!

Return to “All other fruits”