Blackcurrant gin

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Chris SHORROCK

Blackcurrant gin

Post by Chris SHORROCK » 16 Jun 2008, 15:15

In this recipe I use 1.5 litre screw top glass or PET bottles with a wide neck to prepare the gin. Apple and citrus juices can often be purchased in such throw-away bottles.

To an empty 1.5 l bottle add 700 g of fresh blackcurrants* and 3 or 4 small young blackcurrant bush shoots with fresh green leaves attached (in all about 20 leaves). Note that I usually prune my blackcurrant bushes at the same time as I pick the blackcurrants. Add 350 g sugar, a stick of cinnamon, some juniper berries and coriander seeds. Fill up with gin, close bottles and shake them.

Leave for as long as possible but for at least 6 months, turning and shaking from time to time.

Filter through a sieve into bottles. One 1.5 l lot will yield about one litre of gin. Store in the dark. Drink with discernment from small liqueur glasses.

* In my original recipe I crushed the blackcurrants but this makes the filtering difficult, results in a cloudy gin that has to be decanted to get a clear drink. The uncrushed blackcurrants shrivel and I don’t think that you loose much when you throw them away. I’ve tried pressing them to yield some more juice but it was a waste of time.
Last edited by Chris SHORROCK on 09 Jan 2011, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Fractal

Re: Blackcurrant gin

Post by Fractal » 20 Oct 2010, 17:13

Sounds lovely. Will have to give this a try!

OBG

Post by OBG » 07 Jun 2011, 20:51

Tried a similar recipe,

400g of Blackberries ( had frozen in the freezer )
400g sugar
700ml gin

Left together for three months, then filtered and bottled. The blckberry flavour is quite astounding.

Highly recommended.

OBG

bubblious

Post by bubblious » 06 Aug 2011, 19:39

Oh no :oops: I've only just stumbled across your recipe, wish I'd seen it earlier.

I made some blackcurrant gin last week, it was the first time and I followed a recipe I had found somewhere else ... I've only gone and crushed all my blackcurrants ...will it be all cloudy and horrible now? Is there anything I can do to rescue it?

OBG

Post by OBG » 06 Aug 2011, 21:40

Should be no problem as long as you filter it. Coffee filters will work fine.

bubblious

Post by bubblious » 07 Aug 2011, 09:41

Thanks for that, this is the first time I've made any so I'm being a little over protective I think. I think now its a week old I shall put in the back of the cupboard and forget about it until Christmas. :)