What's the difference?

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Djinn

What's the difference?

Post by Djinn » 07 Oct 2004, 12:38

:oops: Can anyone give a comprehensive description of sloes and damsons and define the difference. I do know what sloes are like but don't think I've ever seen a damson without the jam! I'd like to find some and make my own jam.
thanks!

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 19 Oct 2004, 01:01

'Local Knowledge' is a good place to start. Quiz friends/neighbours for the location of any local examples. Actually seeing trees in a local hedge will be more useful than loads of books and webpages ...

This is also just the kind of thing some local papers would love to help with, and a 'letter to the editor' might be rewarded by replies from helpful local readers
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

finkle

Re: What's the difference?

Post by finkle » 17 Sep 2005, 21:49

[quote="Djinn"]:oops: Can anyone give a comprehensive description of sloes and damsons and define the difference. I do know what sloes are like but don't think I've ever seen a damson without the jam! I'd like to find some and make my own jam.
thanks![/quote]
Damsons look like small plums, dark in colour sweet and moist when ripe where are you in the country? I have acres of damson trees I would be happy for anyone to come and have an afternoon picking if they so wish.
I have a small holding in Worcestershire.