help required

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

david

help required

Post by david » 23 Nov 2011, 19:59

Hello all

I made a stack of Damson Gin a couple of months ago ( 20/ 09/11 ), using one of the recipes on this site, i.e.

500g Damsons
60g Sugar
1 bt Gin

Have been sampling this over the past couple of days and I am dissapointed with the results so far, you can certainly get a taste of the alcohol however apart from that it's pretty tastless.

I don't know whether I should be adding more sugar or should I add more Damsons ( I still have some in the freezer).

I am unsure if this will develop a taste the longer I leave it, and will be happy to leave it if this is the case however I never needed to wait that long when making Sloe Gin before you get the taste comiong through.

Any advise would be much appreciated

Cheers

David

VJJ

Re: help required

Post by VJJ » 23 Nov 2011, 21:29

I think I would be inclined to wait for a while yet. Although two months is a reasonable minimum for sloe gin, three months seems to be a better minimum for damson gin. I was a month ahead of you with this year's damson gin and it is only now developing the full taste.

david

Post by david » 24 Nov 2011, 18:12

Thanks for the reply VJJ.

I am happy to let the Damson Gin sit for as long as it takes, however I was just trying to get ahead of the game instead of waiting 4 /5 months and then being advised that I should have added more sugur of Damsons. :wink:

Thanks again

David

VJJ

Post by VJJ » 24 Nov 2011, 22:04

That's a very sensible approach - and I admire your patience.
One problem with a simple recipe and a simple method is that it's not easy to see where anything can go wrong - but it still does!
How is the colour of the gin? If it is very pale, more pricking might be worth a try, especially if you froze rather than pricked the damsons.
Beyond that, you could sub-divide one of the bottles and try different approaches to smaller amounts (so you don't spoil too much gin if you don't like the results of any particular approach). For example, you could try one with a bit more sugar, one with some more damsons (well pricked) and one with both. Whatever works best can be applied to the rest of the batch.
Good luck.

david

Post by david » 27 Nov 2011, 10:29

Hi VJJ

With regards to the colour, it was looking great from the 2nd day as all the damsons were slit open with a knife allowing the gin to penetrate.

I will take you advice and experiment with small batches of gin while adding sugar and more Damsons to alternate batches.

Cheers

David