How Ripe Can Sloe and Damsons Be Used

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

seascape

How Ripe Can Sloe and Damsons Be Used

Post by seascape » 25 Oct 2006, 13:10

Hi

This is my first attempt at sloe gin just a three of questions

How ripe can sloe`s and damson`s be? I have loads of both close to my house but fear they may be to soft. I tried to pick the ripe ones that were not to soft thinking they were the best. Some articles I have read say they should only be picked after the first frost. By this time surley they would be off.

I was told by some one only to use the cheapest of gin. When I looked at these the % proof was 35 but the better names were 40. (I finally used Gordons) Is it OK to use ceap or is it rubbish in rubbish out?

You talk of leaving the sloe gin for over 12 months to mature. Is there a sloe bank to deposit the bottles? or are time lock caps available to stop the early opening of bottles. Mine are only 5 days old but allready look tempting as the colour darkens.

p.s. I worked in India for 2 years Gilbeys Gin there was about £3 per litre should have smuggled lots over
Fishing is not a hoby it ia a way of life

deadsloeandstop

Re: How Ripe Can Sloe and Damsons Be Used

Post by deadsloeandstop » 27 Oct 2006, 15:45

seascape wrote: (1) How ripe can sloe`s and damson`s be? I have loads of both close to my house but fear they may be to soft. I tried to pick the ripe ones that were not to soft thinking they were the best. Some articles I have read say they should only be picked after the first frost. By this time surley they would be off.

(2) I was told by some one only to use the cheapest of gin. When I looked at these the % proof was 35 but the better names were 40. (I finally used Gordons) Is it OK to use ceap or is it rubbish in rubbish out?

(3) You talk of leaving the sloe gin for over 12 months to mature. Is there a sloe bank to deposit the bottles? or are time lock caps available to stop the early opening of bottles. Mine are only 5 days old but allready look tempting as the colour darkens.
OK...here are my views:

(1) Ignore that 1st frost nonsense! A sloe or a damson are ripe when they are ripe. Pick them when they 'give' to the touch...soft is OK, but squishy might suggest they are too ripe. It is well past picking time for fruits this year...even holly berries are ripe :shock:

(2) Stick to cheap. You are flavouring the gin, so why splash out on a pricey bottle when you are going to mask the flavour anyway :wink:

(3) Minimum 3 months, maximum 6 moths...although the strained product will last for years. If you leave the sloes in the gin too long it starts acting upon the seed...and you'll get a weird taste.

Cheers,

sandy130674

Post by sandy130674 » 02 Nov 2006, 16:50

What's a sloe bank? Or am I missing a joke? I know sloe gin is tempting, but it sounds a bit extreme to lock the maturing sloe gin in a bank vault with a 3 month timer!

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 02 Nov 2006, 19:10

sandy130674 wrote:What's a sloe bank? Or am I missing a joke? I know sloe gin is tempting, but it sounds a bit extreme to lock the maturing sloe gin in a bank vault with a 3 month timer!
Some people just can't resist :wink: