Sloe Rum?

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: Blackthorn, SloeHoHo

Sloe Rum?

Postby Sloe Hunter » 20 Sep 2009, 23:23

I've been reading a lot on this forum and have been learning a great deal just by reading the various threads and peoples posts. I've read about people making Sloe gin, whiskey and brandy but I was wondering if it would be possible to make Sloe rum? I'm a BIG lover of rum and it's my favorite tipple with Sloe gin a joint first. Does anyone think it is worth my time? Anyone know any recipes? I'm a bit wary of adding too much sugar as by nature rum is quite sugary as it is.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Pete.
Sloe Hunter

Re: Sloe Rum?

Postby mikester » 21 Sep 2009, 13:44

I personally believe mixing sloes should be done with sprits with a relatively clean taste, for example vodka and gin work great. You want to have the fullest impact of taste that the berry will give.
sloes really add flavor to a drink you would not necessarily drink neat.
In the past i have used other berries to "enhance" to flavor of drink i would happily drink neat, for example blackberries and brandy work well.
My thoughts are you can always pay to have something that has been blended to perfection, the fun of doing it myself is seeing what works and what does not, so maybe you should give the rum a shot.
mikester

Postby Sloe Hunter » 05 Oct 2009, 20:02

Well Im going to make the sloe rum this weekend and will be adding a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg as well. This will be my first time at having a go at something like this and hope it will be ok by Christmas.
Sloe Hunter

Postby Sloe Hunter » 11 Oct 2009, 13:27

Finally got round to making my sloe rum today (bit later than expected). Added very small amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves along with the sloes and sugar. Smells like Christmas in a bottle already! Do you think it will be ok to use by Christmas or have I left it too late? I know it will be pushing it.
Sloe Hunter

Postby Kay Dekker » 23 Oct 2009, 16:55

One strategy for trying out combinations of alcohols and fruits is to make a fruit syrup - just simmer the fruit in enough water until tender, strain the juice through a jelly bag or doubled muslin, add sugar to taste and then re-heat until the sugar is dissolved. You can get technical with sugar thermometers if you want to, but I find that a couple of heaped dessertspoons of sugar to a pint of juice is about right. You can then add the syrup to whatever spirit you like to try out the combination. It's a lot quicker than waiting a couple of months for an infusion!

As to the specifics of rum and sloes: maybe :) I suspect that a white rum would mask the sloe flavour less than a dark rum, but it may be worth trying it with a golden rum.
Kay Dekker

Postby Sloe Hunter » 23 Oct 2009, 17:04

Kay Dekker wrote:As to the specifics of rum and sloes: maybe :) I suspect that a white rum would mask the sloe flavour less than a dark rum, but it may be worth trying it with a golden rum.

I used some Captain Morgan Dark rum as it was the only rum I had lying around but any cheap dark rum would do I suppose. I suspect Old navy rum would also be nice but I'd never use a premium blend rum like Appleton or Pussers. To me Pussers is the king of rums! I emptied out half the bottle into another bottle and then added the sloes and 5 heaped tablespoons of white granulated sugar mixed with the dried cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (I would have prefered a cinnamon stick, whole nutmeg and whole cloves). My thinking concerning the amount of sugar was that as the rum is quite sweet anyway I needed slightly less sugar than with sloe gin and that the sloes would counteract some of the natural sweetness in the rum. Been having a little taste and its yummy! Can't wait to make truffles out of the sloes left over from this little experiment.
The sloes in the dark rum actually make a very nice fruity back note and with the sugar in the rum + the spices its a winning combination for me.
Sloe Hunter

Postby Kay Dekker » 23 Oct 2009, 17:14

Sloe Hunter wrote:The sloes in the dark rum actually make a very nice fruity back note and with the sugar in the rum + the spices its a winning combination for me.

That sounds delicious - I may well give that a go! Thank you!
Kay Dekker

Postby Kay Dekker » 23 Oct 2009, 23:00

Actually, on looking at the Wikipedia page on sloe gin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloe_gin

"Schlehenfeuer is generally considered German sloe gin. Schlehenfeuer has an alcohol content of about 38% by volume (76° proof) and this higher alcohol content is also the most important difference between Schlehenfeuer and other sloe gins. The most popular commercial brand of Schlehenfeuer, based on white rum, is made by Mast-Jägermeister AG, better known for its product Jägermeister."

So yes, sloe rum does exist, and it's a commercial product.
Kay Dekker

Postby Sloe Hunter » 24 Oct 2009, 11:30

Kay Dekker wrote:Actually, on looking at the Wikipedia page on sloe gin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloe_gin

"Schlehenfeuer is generally considered German sloe gin. Schlehenfeuer has an alcohol content of about 38% by volume (76° proof) and this higher alcohol content is also the most important difference between Schlehenfeuer and other sloe gins. The most popular commercial brand of Schlehenfeuer, based on white rum, is made by Mast-Jägermeister AG, better known for its product Jägermeister."

So yes, sloe rum does exist, and it's a commercial product.

That's very interesting to know Kay. Many thanks for the information. :)
Sloe Hunter

Return to Sloe gin recipes