Very little around this year

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Phil

Very little around this year

Postby Phil » 05 Sep 2016, 22:14

Well, I've checked out my usual picking places here and there's bugger all fruit anywhere - this I saw maybe half a dozen Sloes and someone else has said the same.
Phil

Mellimoo

Re: Very little around this year

Postby Mellimoo » 18 Sep 2016, 18:18

Me too, I've gone to all the places I noted last year. The early bush that is usually ready at the end of August has only a couple of shrivelled berries on it, and the area that is normally dripping with sloes in October/November is completely bare right now. Worried I won't get to make any gin this year after having got into all this only last year!

Phil

Postby Phil » 19 Sep 2016, 21:56

If you don't find any and get desperate you can usually buy frozen ones from ebay that will be thawed and ready by the time they arrive.
Phil

bugbear

Postby bugbear » 27 Sep 2016, 09:03

Agreed. :(

I checked one of my locations - 10 bushes, about a dozen sloes. At first I thought someone had beaten me to it, but the berries were just as sparse at 8 foot and above.

(a picked bushed often has berries at heights were people can't reach)

BugBear

bugbear

Postby bugbear » 28 Sep 2016, 10:15

Further research and foraging has revealed that whilst some normally generous bushes are extremely thin this year, some aren't.

By asking around, I have been pointed at some usable sloes.

Not a good year, then, but not the complete wash out that 2012 was.

BugBear

kev

Postby kev » 17 Oct 2016, 23:45

There are very few sloes at all this year on my usual patch. I went out yesterday and managed to pick 440g where I usually can easily pick many kilos. I guess one bottle will be better than none. I have also looked at several other locations and there is hardly anything anywhere.
Last resort is a large clump I cycled past in the spring along the banks of the river Wey, so fingers crossed.
I did find what appear to be some wild plums at another location so I will post some pictures for identification.
With the lack of sloes I have been picking Haws following Hugh Fernley-Whittingstals haw-sin sauce recipe.
There are loads on the bushes.

Return to “Sloe gin recipes”