Removing the stone.

Use the gin-soaked flesh of discarded sloes to make luxury chocolates! Share tips and culinary hints here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Kit

Removing the stone.

Postby Kit » 02 Oct 2011, 22:23

A couple of years ago I made sloe choc's using the left over gin-soaked sloes left over after decanting the sloe gin. They were delicious! I carved the flesh off the stones using a sharp knife and coated them in dark 74% chocolate from Lidl.
I found it a tedious job carving the flesh off the stones. I wonder if you could use a 'cherry stoner' or an 'olive stoner' to get rid of the stones. Has anyone done this?

AdamR

Re: Removing the stone.

Postby AdamR » 03 Oct 2011, 12:13

I've heard that a cherry stoner works, although I found a way of doing it last year that I posted about in this thread > viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171&start=15#p3635

Galloway Gal
Location: The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Re: Removing the stone.

Postby Galloway Gal » 28 Sep 2015, 00:10

When I removed the stones from my sloes as a prelude to making my Gin-Soaked Sloe Chutney (see my other post on this) I used the cherry stoner bit of my garlic-press. It worked well altho one observation I would proffer is that it would probably only really be practical with big sloes - small ones tend to break up and just make a sticky mess when you try getting the stones out.

As you'll probably have picked up from some of the posts on this forum, there is the suggestion (which I have no reason to refute) that if you leave the stones in your concoctions for too long they can degrade the taste and release a cyanide-related compound into your product, whatever it is. While I don't see this being a huge problem with chocolates, as I think they'd get scoffed quite quickly, you don't want all the effort of making them ruined by funny flavours (or a poisoning - joke) so personally I'd get stoning.

It saves on broken teeth too...

Return to “Sloe gin chocolates”